Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Voice Of Purpose--The "Stage" To Present


My interest for blogging all started over a year ago--January 2008. I was taking an English course at the Ohio State University, which not only taught your basic grammar techniques for writing, but the professor went a step further to teach various techniques within internet communication. I was really not surprised to hear that internet communication skills were taught in this class, as web-base “talk” is so widely used these days in various personal and professional settings. So, what would be an excellent setting to teach skills within internet communication for a college English course? You guest it, an internet blogging site

Blog sites are an ever growing internet “phenomenon,” where those who have a passion to write or just have something to say can express it. MySpace, one of the world’s largest social networking sites, reports more than 300,000 blogs posts are submitted daily on the site--no doubt, blogging is utilized by many for internet communication.

Now, this English course had many assignments, however, the largest assignment was for every student to set up a blog account on the internet blogging site, Blogger; then weekly, submit a blog post and comment on at least three different student blog posts throughout the ten week course period. Moreover, the professor added one restriction--"no random thoughts"--each student had to pick their own a particular blog theme, title it, and stay within the relationship of their theme. Well, it did not take me long to figure out my choice theme--Religion, but more specifically, Christianity--as my faith plays a vital role in my life.

I have been a Christian for some time now and my life’s focus revolves around my Christian faith--not by fear or tradition, but by a strong inward conviction of belief in Jesus Christ. The title I chose for my blog was “Truth Perceived,” which speaks of the truths of my faith and how I perceive and understand it. I am a simple person, a simple Christian--no theology degree here--just my thoughts and convictions towards biblical truth.

Instantly, I grabbed the “bull by its horns” with this blog assignment; funny, really up to this point, my interest in writing was only a mere attitude of “Have to do it” either for work or school--that’s it. However, I believe what gained my interest in this assignment was that blogging presented the perfect “stage” for me to express my thoughts and feelings without any certain guidelines, interruptions, or distractions. Moreover, through the years, I have gained the reputation from friends and family as a “good listener”--the go to guy--for others to express their thoughts, issues, or problems. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy being a well-respected listener--but come on--listening isn’t my only feature.

One major quality I came to enjoy, throughout the blog assignment, was that often face-to-face conversations can have annoying distractions, but blogging overcomes that "distraction" dilemma by creating a distraction free zone. So many times, especially, in group conversations, I have seen a, ready and willing, speaker left out of the conversation and/or abruptly silenced without ever truly finishing his or her point. Blogging solves these problems by allowing that speaker to openly say and completely finish his or her point without being left out or having to try to overcome a dominate speaker--blogging can be a powerful instrument to the soft spoken, face-to-face, speaker.

Throughout this blog assignment, as I would suggest to any future blogger, I maintained a constant focus--builds credibility with other bloggers. My focus was to bring some realism about Christianity--“hey, Christians are still only human.” The true nature of the Christian has been so overlooked due to various media scandals, negative stereotypes, and other so called “Christians” misrepresenting the faith--society, unfortunately, seems to take more interest in the negative rather than the positive. I am always amazed on how many people think Christianity is just made up of money-hungry self-loathing preachers with believers who are nothing but hypocrites. I would agree Christianity is not free from such bad examples; however, such examples are not the majority, but rather, the minority.

Truly, the majority within Christianity do represent the true Christian characteristics--love, patience, kindness, humbleness, and self-control. Therefore, my whole purpose in all my posts was to convey the Christian message in the most real and understandable way to any who may read. Furthermore, I wanted to break the notion that Christians are a bunch of judgmental “holy rollers”--“Bible thumpers”--“Jesus freaks,” who force their faith on others. Christians, in general, are just like everyday people, who look like everyday people, who have families like everyday people, and who have jobs like everyday people. Christians are not perfect, though people often expect us to be, and like everyone else--we make mistakes, but what we bring to the "everyday" world around us is the face and attitude of hope, compassion, and a life’s purpose.

Needless to say, the ten week blog assignment inspired a new found passion within me. I learned so much, gained a new kind of fulfillment, and realized that even a quit easy-going guy like myself, can have a place to come to, speak his mind, and bring forth a message of faith, love, and hope to an almost countless audience. I have since continued on with blogging since my English class, as I still regularly submit new blog posts on Blogger, as well as, on MySpace (myspace.com/fowardthought). Blogger, unfortunately, hasn’t taken much shape in gaining a vast audience of readers--my fault though, I never really worked at it--but my blog on MySpace has taken flight in so many unexpected ways.

To this date, as I am still amazed, I get on average over 200 hits weekly on my blog posts (small potatoes compared to other bloggers); in addition, my blog audience has expanded to an international level. Moreover, several of my posts have ranked up into MySpace’s Top 20 most viewed blogs, worldwide. Really, I did not state these facts of mine to brag, my purpose was to make the point that the blogging world can be a huge tool for anyone to speak his or her thoughts or message. However, gaining a vast audience isn’t easy--takes time and work--but when you get there, the pay off is very fulfilling (commenting on other blogs is key).

Honestly, my intentions were to never grow my blog on such a vast scale--just kind of happened. My intentions, from the beginning, were truly wrapped around my enjoyment in writing my thoughts to help anyone who may stop by to read; but with anything, you just never know what will come out of it. The past year in blogging has brought me a vast number of new and interesting friends, helped too further my writing skills, and helped to grow my knowledge in a wide range of subjects.

Blogging can be a very fulfilling, learning, and sometimes frustrating experience (opposing comments can rattle the nerves); but in all, if you like to write, have something to get off your chest, have a message of purpose, or just like meeting interesting people--blogging is an effective outlet in accomplishing that.

18 comments:

Fitz said...

First things first, great post! I envy people who can make me want to come back and read day in and day out on their posts.I just completed the same course you took on blogging. I don't consider myself to be a good writer but when it comes to blogging I feel I can spill my guts on just about anything. For now it's about a special girl in my life. To be able to share my thoughts to people and have them comment is a great feeling.

Secondly, I'm not a church goer but would consider myself to be a Christian; I don't understand the bible much but I would love to learn. I envy the whole Christianity faith but don't know where to start.

Again, I'm inspired by your writing; it gives me inspiration to step outside the box.

Cheers!

Fitz

J Dent said...

I'am also in the blogging class, I dont know much about English jsut what i need to know, but you have some very good writing skills. I'm not a church attender regularly, but i do have 12 years of catholic school under my belt. So im kind of burnt out on the church thing at the moment, my reasons are too long to list. I am still a christian though and will always be.
Good blog though and congradulations on your sucess.

WhY Me? said...

This is true! I've come more interested with blogging myself. I find that when people comment on my blog they give me input. I use that input to write another blog. It does help for grammar error and to use normal language not text language.

Heather said...

I have found your blog very interesting! I have always liked to hear what others have to say about their faith!I attended a private christian school my entire life until, my junior year of high school! I liked how you used some of the fruit of the spirits to get your point across about how people tend to look at christians!

My experience with keeping a blog helped me be more free with my writing! (I guess!) I am glad that you are so strong in your faith! Hopefully, some known believers can look at your blog and be inspired!

EthanAndrew said...

I myself have become interested in blogging. I've started my own blog on yahoo, but with more topics than the one my english class blog is based upon. And I wanted to say congrats for such a success in the blog community. I mean top 20 worldwide has to be an achievement. I really enjoyed what i read of your blog and how it is corresponding with the conclusion of thoughts we now have on blogging. Awesome.

Paige said...

I am also taking a class that I had to sign up a blogger account. I really did enjoy writting differnt post on the account. I wrote a topic that I can write about a lot of different topic, almost a place to give thoughts that I am feeling. I could come up with ideas a lot faster on blogger and could write a lot more, because I did not have to think about words to fill in.

I am not much in to Religion, but I do consider myself to be a Christian. I sometimes wish I could do more with my Religion, but that will come later in time. Writting about Religion is a great thing to do, especially when it is not just an assiment for school.

Kyle said...

This post is the best one I have seen since blogging. The topic and your style of writing is very interesting and easy to follow! I'm a christian, not a perfect one but a christian. The Lord knows what's up and is with me every day. I believe thats why Christianity is so comforting to me, I can talk to him about anything. I love the Lord, he has helped me and my family out so much.

Very nice post!
Kyle

Christian Kelley said...

You make a good point about the lack of distractions. Also, I find myself, a more introverted person, to be more outgoing, at least more than normal, online. Blogs provide a space where anyone can make and finish their point as well as give them an audience that can read and respond to them. It can be more anonymous as well. Great Post.

eLeNa said...

I agree with everyone. Great post! First thing I would like to say is I used to not be interested in religion. I went to a public school but was raised Catholic so I always went to Sunday school and such. But for high school I attended a Catholic school and I am way more religious than I ever thought I would be. Second thing is...I like blogging...sort of. Sometimes i could just write all day and other days I'm lost with what to say. But again, great post!

TracyDanielle said...

I have found your blog very interesting! In my class i wasn't at first very interested in blogging, however as the quarter went on i notice some of my class mates knew what i was talking about. This made me grow more interested in blogging because it lets me know that what i do does matter to others in some ways.I how comments from other people can brighten up your day!

brandon said...

I'm also in the blogging class. My blog focuses more on the End Times more than my Christian faith. Blogging has been a wonderful experience for me. You have a good blog, and you are a good writer,I consider myself to be an pretty good writer.

Brittney said...

I found this very interesting and i'm glad that you stand up for what you believe in. I think that everyone should stand up for their religion. i also think that you shouldn't judge people because of that they believe it.blogging in English has helped me enjoy writing to. good luck with everything and keep up the good work.

da hav said...

i used to feel the same way i only wrote on blogger just because it was required but now i kinda like it blogging was not a top requirement but it does help you be yourself when no place else will so congrats on finding a new found glory.

Rico said...

I would like to first say that you are a really good blog writer. I am also taking a class that made me sign a blogger account. I agree with you when starting out I was not that into blogging but now I tend to like it. Blogging help me express current event that happening in my life......

Lil Bit said...

Great post! I'm very pleased to see that your Christian faith has been getting strong and that you have come back from your "dark side." Well, I'm also apart of The Ohio State English class that you were once in and we are also doing the blogging thing too. Blogging has been fun for me, but I rather not blog on cites I'm not familiar with due to security reasons. Its been really a good experience to step out of my comfort zone on the internet, but I am back to writing down in my good ol' notebook!

Miss Diva said...

hey great post.. i am in this class where i have to write a blog.. my blog is about friendships over the last past ten weeks i have bee talking about the true meaning of having a friend.i want say that i am a great writer just yet, but i am getting the hang on it.. but one thing i know is that i can write a great blog post. when i be blogging i try to tell the truth about every thing about having a great friendship between my closet friends..
I've came realize that blogging is more than just a hobbie to people it is what they do for a living. my blogging experiences has been fun and i gained a lot out of this experiences ..

Cap'n Fatback said...

I'd like to lave two comments: one from a teacher's perspective and one from a blog participant.

As a teacher, I get excited to see not only the inspiration and perseverance to write Tim discusses in his original post, but also the ways in which the current class is evaluating both Tim's post and their own blogging experiences.

Tracy, for example, brings up a good point about the importance of the reader to us as writers. Tracy aid that her interested audience "made me grow more interested in blogging because it lets me know that what i do does matter to others in some ways."

I do fear that many of us get to college with the sense that our words--our thoughts--don't matter. Tim's experience refutes this thought nicely, as does the ways we learned from each other's blog posts this quarter. I don't mean to suggest anything too touchy-feely; not everything you or I will ever write will be gems. Still, one of the reasons we keep and analyze blogs in this class is to investigate a newer medium that affords more ownership (both individually and collectively) to the writer who may otherwise feel frustrated with the conventions of the academic essay. If we try to understand what makes both the blog and the essay tick, maybe--just maybe--we can demystify the rigors of composition class.

As a blog participant, I have to say that this is the type of blogs I like to frequent: a meaty entry with knowledgeable comments. Bravo.

So, thank you Tim, and thank you 109.02 class of Winter 2009. It's been edifying for me. I hope you can say the same.

Cap'n Fatback said...

That would be "leave." Dratted broken "e" key.